Sunday, April 8, 2018

Harold Schechter's "Hell's Princess"

Harold Schechter is an American true-crime writer who specializes in serial killers. Twice nominated for the Edgar Award, his nonfiction books include Fatal, Fiend, Bestial, Deviant, Deranged, Depraved, The Serial Killer Files, The Mad Sculptor, Man-Eater, and Killer Colt.

Here Schechter dreamcasts an adaptation of his new book, Hell's Princess: The Mystery of Belle Gunness, Butcher of Men:
Though it would be a dream come true if my idol, Vin Diesel, could star in it, I don’t realistically see a role for him.

I suppose if I were the casting director, I’d try to land Kathy Bates as the lead character, the plus-sized serial slaughterer, Belle Gunness. I suppose I think of her immediately because of her proven ability to play matronly homicidal maniacs.

As for her squirrely, scrawny, creepy nemesis, Ray Lamphere, I’d go, for obvious reasons, with Steve Buscemi.
Learn more about the book and author at Harold Schechter's website.

The Page 99 Test: Hell's Princess.

--Marshal Zeringue