Monday, July 16, 2018

Derek Milman's "Scream All Night"

Derek Milman has worked as a playwright, screenwriter, film school teacher, DJ, and underground humor magazine publisher. A classically trained actor, he has performed on stages across the country and appeared in numerous TV shows, commercials, and films.

Here Milman dreamcasts an adaptation of his newly released first novel, Scream All Night:
So this is actually something happening with Scream All Night, and I can't discuss specifics just yet, but I write without ever seeing faces or actors. And I'm grateful for that, so I can focus on their inner lives. That said, I did see a film called Hereditary with some friends, and everyone agreed the boy in that movie, played by Alex Wolff, would be a great Dario; he has the right intensity and the brooding dark looks, and the right edge to his humor and his speech. The same could be said of Timotheé Chalamet, after we all saw Call Me By Your Name--but everyone immediately wanted this kid to play the lead in the adaptation of their YA novel, so it seemed silly to even entertain such notions. Hayley is Irish Catholic in SAN, but there was a wonderful actress I saw in this Netflix coming-of-age flick called Alex Strangelove and if Hayley were Jewish she could totally be played by Madeline Weinstein, who had the right energy and intelligence. I can't go near Oren, that one's too hard. Weirdly, I always thought there could be a fun little casting coup and Project Runway mentor Tim Gunn could play Franklin, The Fixer, which was one face I did see, for some mysterious reason. Because Jack Nicholson is my favorite screen actor of all time, I'd kill to see him play Lucien (he's nearly the same age!) with a slight Romanian accent--I mean who wouldn't want to see that!
Visit Derek Milman's website.

--Marshal Zeringue