Thursday, February 14, 2019

Darius Hinks's "The Ingenious"

Darius Hinks works and lives in Nottinghamshire, England. He spent the nineties playing guitar for the grunge band, Cable, but when his music career ended in a bitter lawsuit, he turned to writing. His first novel, Warrior Priest, won the David Gemmell Morningstar award and, so far at least, none of his novels have resulted in litigation.

Here Hinks suggests a lead--and a director--for an adaptation of his new novel, The Ingenious:
One of my influences when writing the novel was Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s brilliant Fleabag series. My favourite heroes are the ones who tumble headlong through a story being erratic and unpredictable and always looking like they’re about to implode. So, if I was going to cast someone as Isten, Phoebe Waller-Bridge would be a good option. Isten’s pretty tough though, so maybe Waller-Bridge with a little Eva Green thrown in for good measure. If I could choose the director, my first choice would be David Lynch on account of him being an unalloyed absolute bloody genius. I can’t imagine his version of The Ingenious would in any way resemble the book, but I’m sure it would be incredible, so if anyone is on coffee-drinking terms with him, please let him know that he’s safe to crack on and we can sort out contracts later. In the unlikely event that David Lynch isn’t available, Terrence Malick would be my second choice. I think we’d end up with some long, lingering shots of sunlight breaking through trees and a mumbled monologue or two, but it would be a thing of such profound beauty that it wouldn’t matter.
Visit Darius Hinks's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Ingenious.

--Marshal Zeringue