Sunday, March 31, 2019

Dan Stout's "Titanshade"

Dan Stout lives in Columbus, Ohio, where he writes about fever dreams and half-glimpsed shapes in the shadows. His prize-winning fiction draws on his travels throughout Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Rim, as well as an employment history spanning everything from subpoena server to assistant well driller.

Here Stout shares some input regarding an adaptation of his new novel, Titanshade:
I admit to not having the most in-depth knowledge of who’s active in Hollywood, so I can’t do much in the way of dream casting. I can, however, talk about design work all day long! I’ve said before that Jordu Schell is an amazing creature designer, and I’d love to see the kind of takes he’d have on the world of Titanshade. Other designers like Simon Lee have an incredible dynamic element to their designs, and Don Lanning manages to give even the most horrific creatures a sense of power and grace, but Schell’s stuff always has a disquieting sense of otherness and alien appeal that I love.

In an ideal world, I’d love to see makeup that was a combination of practical and computer effects, much like the blend that was used so effectively in Guillermo del Toro’s The Shape of Water. There, the full body suit allowed Doug Jones to imbue the character with genuine emotions, while the CGI eyes and fins provided additional layers of realism. That costume design by Luis Sequeira, creature sculpt by Mike Hill, and fabrication by Jasper Anderson and the rest of the Legacy Effects team is outstanding.

And I’ll cut myself off there, because otherwise I’ll be talking creature design and effects all day long!
Visit Dan Stout's website.

--Marshal Zeringue