Monday, August 17, 2020

Jennifer Greer's "A Desperate Place"

Jennifer Greer began her writing career as a journalist. She graduated from California State University, Fresno with a degree in journalism and worked as a crime reporter for the Fresno Bee. Interested in foreign affairs, she traveled to Russia in the late 80s and lived in London studying art and literature. While abroad she traveled into the war regions of Croatia and wrote an award winning article on the women and children refugees. She lives on the Oregon Coast.

Here Greer dreamcasts an adaptation of A Desperate Place, her first novel:
When I wrote A Desperate Place, I pictured each scene in my head as if I were watching a movie. It’s all very visual for me. Not only do I want to see and feel the scene I want my readers to be with me one hundred percent. The experience is what it’s all about. Walking around in someone else’s life for a time. Gaining new understanding of the world and the people in it.

With my lead character, journalist Whit McKenna, I envisioned Julianne Moore playing her part. I think she has a strength of character that suits McKenna, who is also a red head. I could picture Ms. Moore in a war zone and also as a mother. There is a grace about her and yet a hint of playfulness also surfaces when she lets down that hard guard.

My never flinching Medical Examiner Detective, Katie Riggs transferred from the murder squad to the M.E.’s office after experiencing a life-threatening skin cancer. She has a quiet strength and a strong faith in God. A natural beauty in her character that you wouldn’t expect from someone who does autopsies. I picture Emily Ratajkowski as Katie Riggs. Her blond pixie is perfect!

I’d be thrilled to see Keanu Reeves play Jacob Panetta. He’s an ex-navy seal so he’s an adventurer, but also a deep thinker. A man’s man, but a ladies man too. Introspective and a bit brooding. Good looking, but approachable.

As a movie, I think A Desperate Place would be thrilling. It has murder, dark science, gritty secrets and hero’s to champion, so what’s not to love?
Visit Jennifer Greer's website.

Q&A with Jennifer Greer.

--Marshal Zeringue