Monday, August 10, 2020

Julie McElwain's "Shadows in Time"

Julie McElwain is a national award-winning journalist. Born and raised in North Dakota, she graduated from North Dakota State University, and moved to Los Angeles, where she worked for a fashion trade newspaper.

Her first novel, A Murder In Time, was one of the top 10 picks by the National Librarian Association for its April 2016 book list. The novel was also a finalist for the 2016 Goodreads’ readers choice awards in the Sci-fi category, and made Bustle’s list of 9 Most Addictive Mystery series for 2017.

The series continues Kendra Donovan’s adventures in Regency England with A Twist in Time, Caught in Time, Betrayal in Time, and Shadows in Time.

Here McElwain dreamcasts an adaptation of Shadows in Time:
Except for the Duke of Aldridge, I can’t say that I had any actor in mind when I began writing the In Time novels. And with the Duke, in the back of my mind, I kept visualizing a younger version of the late Wilfrid Hyde-White, the phenomenal British actor who played Colonel Pickering in the 1964 musical My Fair Lady. While Mr. Hyde-White is no longer with us, I’d love someone with that same spirit, who can embody the Duke’s gentle kindness but at the same time is no pushover. Liam Cunningham comes to mind. I thought his character, Davos, in Game Of Thrones, had many of those qualities.

Another Game Of Thrones’ alumna, Kit Harington, would make a fabulous Alec. Or Aiden Turner, who played Ross Poldark in the TV series, Poldark. Both actors have the smoldering good looks and charisma that would brilliantly bring Alec to life on-screen. In the supporting roles of Finn Muldoon, I can see Chris O’Dowd as the Irish reporter. He might be a little too old to play Finn, but I love his sardonic sense of humor. I think Kit Harrington’s real-life wife, Rose Leslie, would make for a fantastic Rebecca. Her character, Gwen, in Downton Abbey certainly shares the same independent, feisty yet feminine qualities that Rebecca has. Sam Kelly is harder for me to cast, simply because in my mind he has a very distinctive look. But if I were to cast him, I’d go with either Robert Carlyle, who played Rumpelstiltskin in Once Upon A Time, or John Hannah, who was in The Mummy.

I saved my fantasy casting of Kendra for the last because I think her shoes would be the most difficult to fill. I’d love someone to embody her brilliance, insecurities, determination, humor as well as be able to handle the physical action required. When I’ve been asked this question before, I’ve mentioned Sofia Pernas. And I continue to find myself gravitating toward her. While she might not be as well known as other actresses, I’ve been impressed with her work on CBS’ Blood & Treasure. Pernas plays a swashbuckling art thief, and in that role, displays many of the same characteristics that Kendra has.
Visit Julie McElwain's website.

My Book, The Movie: Betrayal in Time.

Q&A with Julie McElwain.

The Page 69 Test: Shadows in Time.

--Marshal Zeringue