Friday, March 13, 2015

Stacey Ballis's "Recipe for Disaster"

Stacey Ballis is the author of several foodie novels, including: Inappropriate Men, Sleeping Over, Room for Improvement, The Spinster Sisters, Good Enough to Eat, Off the Menu, Out to Lunch, and Recipe for Disaster. She is also a contributing author to three nonfiction anthologies: Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys, Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume, and Living Jewishly.

Here Ballis dreamcasts an adaptation of Recipe for Disaster:
I’m always casting my books in my head! If Recipe for Disaster were to be made into a movie, first and foremost I would want Tina Fey to work with me on the screenplay and since John Hughes is not available, I’d love Amy Heckerling to direct!

I think Melissa McCarthy would be my dream girl for Anneke (or pretty much any heroine in any book I’ve ever written)! I would cast Nathan Fillion for Liam, since he is gorgeous and tall, and Dev Patel is a natural for Jag.

The three best girlfriends would be Judy Greer for Hedy, Joan Allen for Caroline, and Katherine Hahn for Marie.

Idris Elba as Jacob. And I would love to see Emma Stone as Emily, I think she would nail it!

It would have to be filmed in Chicago, without a doubt, and I would have every other role in the movie cast with amazing local Chicago actors. I’d have Mara Blumenfeld do the costumes, if I could tear her away from costuming every theater production on the planet. And maybe a tiny cameo for myself somewhere.
Visit Stacey Ballis's website.

Writers Read: Stacey Ballis.

--Marshal Zeringue