Monday, September 18, 2023

Jamie Lee Sogn's "Salthouse Place"

Jamie Lee Sogn is a Filipina American author of adult thriller novels. She grew up in Olympia, Washington, studied Anthropology and Psychology at the University of Washington and received her Juris Doctor from the University of Oregon School of Law.

She is a "recovering attorney" who writes contracts by day and (much more exciting) fiction by night. While she has lived in Los Angeles, New York City, and even Eugene, Oregon, she now lives in Seattle with her husband, son, and Boston Terrier.

Here Sogn dreamcasts an adaptation of her debut novel, Salthouse Place:
In my novel, Salthouse Place, Delia and her friends, Zee and Cara are two carefree teenagers. One summer day, the three best friends go to the lake…but only two come home.

Ten years later, Delia is still tormented by the mystery of what happened to fifteen-year-old Zee on the lake that day. When she receives an email from Cara, the remaining friend in the trio, she can’t resist the pull of the “life-changing” news in the message. Delia, hopeful for answers, travels home to see her old friend. But Cara is gone by the time she gets there, setting off another mystery. When Delia hears about the women’s empowerment group that Cara joined, she sets out for the group’s retreat property on the Oregon coast to find her and meets the enigmatic and mysterious Sage, the leader of the company, Artemis Wellness.

As I wrote the book, the only character I had already “cast” in my head was Sage and it was Rosamund Pike. I think she can have an intense look about her, but at the same time have an ability to be both warm and trusting. With a blunt blond bob and some yoga leggings and prayer beads, she is Sage come to life.

For Delia, I would love a biracial Filipina to play her, so I instantly think of Olivia Rodrigo. She might be a little young, but I think she could portray the sarcasm and distrust that Delia often exudes. Also, I just love her!

While we are “dreamcasting”, I might as well dream big and cast Zendaya as Zee, who’s disappearance kicks off the entire mystery. She’s an amazing actress and would do one of my favorite characters in the book more than justice.

For Cara, who is the third friend in the trio, I would cast Lili Reinhart. She is very much a girl-next-door type who could be both fragile and vulnerable, but biting and believable as a “frenemy” as well.

The main love interest for Delia is Tom, Cara’s brother. While writing him, I didn’t have an actor in mind, but I did have a photo of a random male model who I thought was a great image for what I thought Tom would look like. Now I think Jeremy Allen White would be a perfect choice-- he’s brooding and charismatic all at once.

Finally, Sage’s brother and co-founder of Artemis Wellness is Everett. He never actually appears in the novel, but in a movie, I think there would be some flashbacks and backstory with him and Sage. For Everett, I would cast Jeremy Strong. For no other reason than I am still getting over the Succession ending.
Visit Jamie Lee Sogn's website.

Q&A with Jamie Lee Sogn.

--Marshal Zeringue