Monday, July 11, 2016

Caroline Angell's "All the Time in the World"

Caroline Angell grew up in Endwell, N.Y., the daughter of an electrical engineer and a public school music teacher. She has a B. A. in musical theater from American University and currently lives and works in Manhattan. As a playwright and director, she has had her work performed at regional theaters in New York City and in the Washington, D.C., area.

Here Angell shares some ideas about casting an adaptation of All the Time in the World, her first novel:
I hear the voices of my characters pretty distinctly when I’m working on a novel or a play. (Now there’s a sentence that will mark me for the nuthouse right off the bat.) I mention this because for me as a writer, the process is not as visual as it is auditory. I think a lot about essence, and the speech patterns and cadence of characters’ voices while I’m writing. Stylistically, I can see the movie of my book being similar to the TV show Parenthood, where the dialogue is messy and sometimes overlaps. No one says anything perfectly, but the moments come through in a vital and authentic manner.

I consciously try not to go too far into physical descriptions of my characters, unless it’s necessary to the point of view I’m working from. Mainly because I would love for a reader (or an actor) to be able to pick up my book and say, I see myself in this situation. I can relate to this. For that reason, I haven’t given a whole lot of consideration to how the movie might be cast.

But, I mean, if one of Meryl Streep’s kids wanted to play the lead role, I’d probably be cool with that kind of talent. Or if Matt Damon sees himself playing the role of Scotty, the father of the two little boys in the story, I definitely wouldn’t object.
Visit Caroline Angell's website and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue