Friday, February 17, 2017

Martine Murray's "Molly & Pim and the Millions of Stars"

Martine Murray studied law at Melbourne University, then pursued painting and joined a circus before starting a dance company called Bird on a Wire. After an injury, she began writing and illustrating books for children and young adults. Her novels, including The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, have won several awards in Australia. Her books have been translated into seventeen languages. She lives in Castlemaine, Australia, with her daughter and dog.

Here Murray dreamcasts an adaptation of her latest novel, Molly & Pim and the Millions of Stars:
I am terrible at getting round to watching movies, though I really love them. So I don’t know many contemporary young actors, I haven’t even seen Harry Potter, which I should perhaps not admit. So if someone were to play Molly or Pim….

Maybe Pim would be like Leonardo DiCaprio in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and Molly could be the actor who played the youngest daughter in Captain Fantastic. I say that partly because it is the most recent film I saw and I can’t remember any other films with young girls. Though Molly Ringwald in some ways embodied the outsider sort of energy of the Molly in my book too or maybe I just morphed them together then because of the name, but I think that works.
Visit Martine Murray's website.

The Page 69 Test: Molly & Pim and the Millions of Stars.

Writers Read: Martine Murray.

--Marshal Zeringue