Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Nancy Peacock’s "The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson"

Nancy Peacock’s novel The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson was self-published in 2013, and in 2015 won First Place in the Writer’s Digest Self-Published Book- Mainstream Fiction category. That same year the book was picked up by Atria Press, a division of Simon and Schuster. Peacock is the author of two earlier novels, Life Without Water (chosen as a New York Times Notable Book) and Home Across the Road, as well and the memoir and writing guide, A Broom of One’s Own: Words on Writing, Housecleaning and Life.

Here Peacock dreamcasts an adaptation of The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson:
When my first novel was published, I chose all the actors for a movie that never happened. Those actors have aged out ten-fold now. Because of that I have a little fear that choosing actors for a movie made out of my book just might be a bit of jinx. Because of that belief I am working with a counter jinx by putting age and gender off the table as I cast the story.

For the main character, Persimmon Wilson, a freed slave who rides with the Comanche in 1800s Texas, I’d love to see young Denzel Washington. He has a range of depth and emotion that makes me believe this part was made for his younger self.

For the role of Chloe, a much-abused, light-skinned house slave, whom Persy is in love with, and ultimately rescues I’d cast younger Halle Berry. Ditto on her ability to act a range of emotion and depth.

And putting age, gender and physical bulk aside completely, I’d cast Linda Hunt in the role of Mo Tilly, a wizened, much sun-tanned man who befriends Persy in his travels through Texas. She is the perfect height, and her acting range is fabulous. Plus I think she’d enjoy playing the part.

That said I hope there is a movie made of The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson. I’d love to see a sensitive treatment made of this story, and I’d love to Persy ride into the hearts of millions as he rode into mine.
Visit Nancy Peacock's website.

--Marshal Zeringue