Friday, December 18, 2020

Layne Fargo's "They Never Learn"

Layne Fargo is the author of the thrillers Temper and They Never Learn. She’s a Pitch Wars mentor, Vice President of the Chicagoland chapter of Sisters in Crime, and the cocreator of the podcast Unlikeable Female Characters. Fargo lives in Chicago with her partner and their pets.

Here she dreamcasts an adaptation of They Never Learn:
I always “cast” every character in my novels before I start writing them, and I have secret Pinterest boards full of pictures of all my inspirations (like, so many pictures it’s creepy).

Here are some of the main actors I pictured while writing my latest novel, the feminist serial killer thriller They Never Learn:

Christina Hendricks as English professor/murderer of bad men Scarlett Clark. Scarlett is a bombshell redhead who will ruin your life, and Christina basically invented that archetype as Joan Holloway on Mad Men.

Morena Baccarin as Scarlett’s love interest, psychology professor Dr. Mina Pierce. I originally pictured a different actress as Mina, but the character didn’t quite come together in my mind until I thought of Morena.

Bill Skarsgård as Scarlett’s creepy-hot graduate assistant Jasper Prior. Bill has inspired characters in several other projects of mine too; you do not want to know how many pictures of him I have saved…

Ewan McGregor as Dr. Alexander Kinnear, Scarlett’s smarmy boss she can’t wait to kill (although a lot of people tell me they pictured Greg Kinnear instead, because of the last name, and that works too).

Amandla Stenberg as Scarlett’s favorite student Mikayla Atwell.

Joel de la Fuente as Scarlett’s friend and fellow English professor Drew Torres.

They Never Learn is currently being developed for television, and I’m so interested to see whether the actual cast will match my mental images!
Visit Layne Fargo's website.

--Marshal Zeringue