Saturday, February 19, 2011

T. J. Forrester's "Miracles, Inc."

T. J. Forrester has been a fisherman, a subsistence farmer, a bouncer, a window washer, and a miner. He is one of the few hikers in the world to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail. He has written fiction since 2001, and his stories have appeared in numerous literary journals. Forrester also edits Five Star Literary Stories, an online site that brings the best fiction published on the web to a new audience for both reading and review.

Here he shares his choices for principal cast and director of an adaptation of his new novel, Miracles, Inc.:
I suspect Miracles, Inc. is too controversial for Hollywood, but if a director shows interest I hope it's Francis Ford Coppola. He is the founder of Zoetrope.com, the writing workshop where I honed the craft, and I'd like to meet him and personally thank him for his philanthropy. Hopefully he'll bring along some of his wine. The Coppola Claret is one of my favorites.

Jake Gyllenhaal, a terrific actor who doesn't shy from difficult roles, will make an excellent Vernon Oliver. Mr. Gyllenhaal brings sensitivity to the big screen, and I'd love to see how he couples that strength with the commanding presence required to pull off the main character. Plus, I think Mr. Gyllenhall will enjoy riding a Harley.

Of Juno fame, Ellen Page is one of my favorite movie stars. Rickie, Vernon's lover, has a tortured existence and is the perfect role to challenge this maturing actress. I have no doubt she is up to the task.

A powerful business woman who is haunted by a past indiscretion, elegant Miriam MacKenzie might be just the right character for Jodie Foster. I so enjoy her work.

Lastly, we need someone to play Alton Pierce, the character who lives on a secret island in the Everglades. When I think of Alton, Robert Duvall comes to mind. There's a western feel to Alton, a weathered personality that fits Mr. Duvall. (I loved Lonesome Dove, and I'd like to see this actor one more time with a cowboy hat on his head.)
Read Chapter 1 of Miracles, Inc., and learn more about the book and author at T.J. Forrester's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Miracles, Inc.

Writers Read: T.J. Forrester.

--Marshal Zeringue