Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Imogen Robertson's "Instruments of Darkness"

Imogen Robertson is a writer based in London. Her first book Instruments of Darkness was published in the U.K. in May 2009, and is now available in America. Her second novel Anatomy of Murder comes out at the end of April 2010 in Britain.

Here she shares some casting ideas for an adaptation of Instruments of Darkness:
Before I started to write full time I was a TV director, so it’s usual for me to see my books as I write them, just as I used to see the scenes I wanted to film. That said, I rarely have a particular actor’s face in front of me as I work, but when I started writing Lady Thornleigh in Instruments of Darkness, she appeared in my mind looking exactly like Angelina Jolie, only speaking with an English accent. It was rather strange.

I would be overjoyed if the lead, Harriet Westerman, impulsive, frustrated, clever, were played by Emma Thompson. She could write the screenplay too. If she’s not available then it would have to be Cate Blanchett who is simply one of the best actors in the world.

For the reclusive anatomist, Gabriel Crowther, whom Harriet persuades into investigating a murder with her, I’ll have  Gabriel Byrne, please. He is the perfect mix of compelling and challenging. Of course, if George Clooney is interested he can play any role he likes.

I’m not optimistic about a film deal though. Having had to work on small budgets in TV for a long time, I really let myself go writing Instruments. Riots in London, battle scenes during the War of Independence. I have written the sort of book that makes production accountants cry.
Learn more about the book and author at Imogen Robertson's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Instruments of Darkness.

Writers Read: Imogen Robertson.

--Marshal Zeringue