Saturday, January 7, 2012

D.C. Brod's "Getting Lucky"

Deborah (Deb) Brod has written fiction most of her life, but didn’t think she had a novel in her until after she graduated from Northern Illinois University with an M.A. in journalism.

Here she shares some suggestions for casting an adaptation of her new novel, Getting Lucky:
I would love to see Laura Linney play Robyn Guthrie, my slightly larcenous heroine. Although Linney doesn't physically resemble Robyn as I've imagined her, she's an amazing actress who can put a lot of layers into a character.

I don't usually have an image of a character when I begin the book. Each becomes more and more distinct as I write him or her. Mick Hughes was different. I've always imagined him as Scottish actor Robert Carlyle. (And I'd be okay with him keeping the accent.) Carlyle is kind of a chameleon, so I need to say that I see Mick more as a Full Monty Carlyle than, say, a World is Not Enough Carlyle.

Frances Sternhagen as Lizzie Guthrie. Definitely. And I see that she's on an "Oddly Sexy" actress list, which Lizzie would appreciate.

Marina Sirtis would play Erika Starwise, psychic extraordinaire, using that Star Trek: The Next Generation accent.

And, finally, there's Kurt Vrana, rogue environmentalist who will likely show up in another book. I like having him around. Although he probably looks more like Clive Owen, who would be fine by me, I have the feeling that Viggo Mortensen is just dying to play him.

And I'd demand that they give me a walk-on in the trailer.
Learn more about the book and author at D.C. Brod's website.

--Marshal Zeringue