Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Natalie C. Parker's "Beware the Wild"

Natalie C. Parker grew up in a navy family in which having adventures was as common as reading fairy tales. Though the roots of her family are buried deep in southern Mississippi, she currently lives in Kansas with her partner in a house of monsters. 

Here Parker dreamcasts an adaptation of Beware the Wild, her first novel:
One thing I have learned from this process is that I have no future as a casting agent. This was a true, capital ‘c,’ Challenge. I started off pondering which actors might capture the qualities and idiosyncrasies of each character. Actors must have nuance, after all. But it gathering a sense of nuance from photographs turns out to be a near impossible job, so I shifted tactics...

This dream cast was selected based on the following criteria:
Faces. They must have them!
See #1.
First up! The siblings.

The premise of Beware the Wild is this: there is a mysterious swamp in the middle of Sticks, Louisiana. One day, a boy goes in and doesn’t return. Instead, a girl climbs out of the swamp and takes his place. The only one to remember that the boy ever existed is his baby sister, Sterling.

For Sterling Saucier, I’ve chosen Georgie Henley of The Chronicles of Narnia fame. Not only are her eyes naturally blue-ish, but I think she has a stubborn jaw.

For her brother, Phineas, I’ve selected Jean-Luc Bilodeau. You might think it’s because his name lilts creole, but really it’s because he wears leather well.

And for the intruder-sister, Lenora May, I’ve picked Victoria Justice. I suspect her hair would hold curl very well and that is a requirement for Lenora May.

Don’t they look mighty fine together?
Next up, friends and enemies!

Sterling has two best friends: Candace “Candy” Pickens and Abigail Beale. For Candy, I’ve selected AnnaSophia Robb because she looks great in sunlight, and for Abigail, Shanica Knowles, because she has a practiced “take no hostages” stare.

Love interest Heath Durham was especially tough, but I’ve discovered (thank me later, Jason!) Jason Dolley whose cleft chin makes him appear simultaneously troubled and thoughtful.
And finally for our villain, Fisher, I’ve chosen Braeden Lemasters for the pure and simple reason that I think he would match the swamp exquisitely well.
Visit Natalie C. Parker's website.

The Page 69 Test: Beware the Wild.

--Marshal Zeringue