Saturday, May 26, 2018

Kathleen George's "The Blues Walked In"

Kathleen George is the author of The Johnstown Girls, a novel about the famous Johnstown flood. She has also written seven mysteries set in Pittsburgh: A Measure of Blood, Simple, The Odds, which was nominated for the Edgar® Award from the Mystery Writers of America, Hideout, Afterimage, Fallen, and Taken. George is also the author of the short story collection The Man in the Buick and editor of another collection, Pittsburgh Noir. She is a professor of theater arts and creative writing at the University of Pittsburgh.

Here George dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, The Blues Walked In:
Lena Horne was not only gorgeous but spirited and positive and smart. One thing that got her ahead was that her skin was light. At first people weren’t sure she was African American or “Negro.” Her looks got her ahead. They also acted as a barrier, too. Hollywood, for instance, didn’t know what to do with her. She could sing. They let her sing in a few movies. The first person I thought of to play her was Hallie Berry. And she’s still on my list. But there are so many gorgeous black women out there, I’m sure there are others. Singing would have to be a big part of the casting process, of course. Of course all of us writers think of big names because big names sell scripts, so for I while I wondered if Meghan Markle might be lured back to her acting career. But alas, she’s said she wants to be a princess. Ah, well.

To play my other main character, Marie David, I would like someone of Arabic background. How about Nadine Labaki? She looks great, just right, and she’s smart and multi-talented. I don’t know any one else of Lebanese background who is acting although I’m sure there are thousands of other talented women out there, too.

I will take suggestions for Josiah Conner and for George Elias. I would love to hear some names!
Learn more about the book and author at Kathleen George's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Blues Walked In.

Writers Read: Kathleen George.

--Marshal Zeringue