Friday, June 22, 2018

Demetra Brodsky's "Dive Smack"

Demetra Brodsky is an award-winning graphic designer & art director turned writer. She has a B.F.A. from The Massachusetts College of Art and Design and lives in Southern California with her family of four and two lovable rescue dogs where she is always trying to make more time for the beach. Her new novel Dive Smack is dedicated to Pumpkin, the monarch butterfly she once saved from the brink of death. Once you read the book, you'll understand why.

Here Brodsky dreamcasts an adaptation of Dive Smack:
This is such a fun question. I don’t think there’s a writer out there who hasn’t thought about this as they watch the scenes they’re writing play out in the heads. I spent a lot of time thinking about Theo Mackey and watching springboard diving videos, but at the end of the day Lucas Till is my perfect Theo Mackey - I feel like he has the perfect mix of athletic and kind.

The easiest one for me is Dylan O'Brien for Chip Langford. I seriously can't picture another person more Chip-like to pay Theo’s best friend.

For Iris Fiorello, Theo’s crush and love interest who has a similar tragic background, I’d pick Belarusian model Zhenya Katava. I know, I know, she’s not an actress, but her eastern European beauty is how I picture Iris who is a first generation Romanian.

Mads Mikkelson is the actor I've always seen as Dr. Phil Maddox while I was writing. His diction when he played Dr. Lecter on the TV show Hannibal was perfection and I tried to adopt some of those mannerisms for him in Dive Smack.

Alan Arkin would be supremely perfect as Theo's cranky, but loving Grandfather, Bruce Mackey.

And no one would be a better suited to play his grandfather’s best friend than James Brolin as Fire Chief Curtis Jacobs.
Visit Demetra Brodsky's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Demetra Brodsky & L.B. and Ponyboy Curtis.

The Page 69 Test: Dive Smack.

Writers Read: Demetra Brodsky.

--Marshal Zeringue