Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Roselle Lim's "Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune"

Roselle Lim is a Filipino-Chinese writer living on the north shore of Lake Erie.

She loves to write about food and magic.

When she isn't writing, she is sewing, sketching, or pursuing the next craft project.

Here Lim dreamcasts an adaptation of her debut novel, Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune:
If my book were turned into a film, I would love Lulu Wang to direct. As a Chinese filmmaker, director, and writer, I think she would capture the essential essence of the book. Her film, The Farewell, looks beautiful. I can't wait to watch.

For the lead, I’m open to anyone. I feel I haven’t yet found the right fit.

Ming-Na Wen would be ideal as Miranda, Natalie’s mother. (If the film had been made circa The Joy Luck Club, she would have been perfect as the lead. She portrayed the kind of vulnerability Natalie possesses.) I love her range for comedy, action, and drama. Her current stint as Melinda May on Agents of SHIELD is one of my favorite characters. I am confident she can portray Miranda and the complexities of agoraphobia, anxiety, and depression.

Old Wu to me has always been James Hong. I never pictured anyone else in the role. James is an amazing actor and he brings the gravitas and complexity to the hardened, unforgiving restauranteur.

When I was writing the book, I always pictured Daniel Henney as Natalie’s love interest. I can also see Lewis Tan or Simu Liu for the role. Daniel Lee is dreamy, charming, and romantic, qualities all three actors possess.

Celia was written with the late Lydia Shum in mind. A comedienne who exuded the kindness and warmth of the best friend you wish you had.

For Evelyn Yu, the fortuneteller, I’d love to see the legendary Michelle Yeoh. Her versatility is perfect for the mysterious, enigmatic teashop owner. In an ideal world, the part is more of a cameo, so I hope she can squeeze it into her busy schedule.

The Chius are the married couple of the neighborhood. Paul Sun-Hyung Lee and Jean Yoon (Appa and Umma from Kim’s Convenience) have the type of chemistry I’d love to see. We need to feel the decades together as a couple and the strain and tension from a failing business.
Visit Roselle Lim's website.

The Page 69 Test: Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune.

--Marshal Zeringue