Saturday, June 10, 2023

Jane L. Rosen's "On Fire Island"

Jane L. Rosen is an author, screenwriter, and Huffington Post contributor. She lives in New York City and Fire Island with her husband and three daughters.

Here Rosen dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, On Fire Island:
On Fire Island is a project I have been working on for many years, and I am thrilled to finally be sharing it with the world. The story mostly takes place over one summer on Fire Island and, just like life, toes the line between comedy and tragedy. I first wrote this story as a screenplay, so I have cast and recast it in my head, many times.

But today, for this exercise, may I present my dream cast.

Ben Morse—the novel’s brooding widowed protagonist would be perfectly played by Ryan Reynolds. For his wife, Julia, who narrates the story from the afterlife, and would only appear in flashbacks, I choose a lesser known beauty, Emilia Clarke. And since this is a dream cast, for Ben’s foil, a cantankerous old man named Shep, who lives for their weekend softball games, I think that Robert Redford would be “The Natural” choice.

Then we have Matty, a sixteen-year-old boy, and his best friend Dylan who wants to lose her virginity before going off to college. I would cast Timothée Chalamet as Matty, because to me he can play young and do no wrong. For Dylan I would choose Mia Rose Frampton. She is everything I picture for Matty’s mermaid-like love interest. For Matty’s mom Renee, I would choose Jennifer Aniston and for the hot drummer she takes up with—Nick Robinson.

There are a lot more characters to cast in this novel, especially the ball players. For them, I would love to mix in some of the actual ball players who I based my characters off of. I picture placing a bunch of these real guys, including my husband, scattered across the outfield of our town’s very own Field of Dreams.
Follow Jane L. Rosen on Facebook and Twitter.

The Page 69 Test: Eliza Starts a Rumor.

My Book, The Movie: Eliza Starts a Rumor.

--Marshal Zeringue