Thursday, August 13, 2026

E. J. Copperman's "Where There’s Smoke…"

E.J. Copperman is the nom de plume for Jeff Cohen, writer of intentionally funny murder mysteries. As E.J., he is the author of the Haunted Guest house series, the Agent to the Paws series and the Jersey Girl Legal mysteries, as well as the Fran and Ken Stein mysteries. As Jeff, he is the author of the Double Feature and Aaron Tucker series; and he collaborates with himself on the Samuel Hoenig Asperger's mysteries.

Here Copperman shares some notes for the casting agent on an adaptation of his new novel, Where There’s Smoke…:
The fact is, I don’t know what my characters look like.

That’s been true in every novel I’ve written (and there have been a bunch). I don’t picture the character beyond a very general type unless their appearance will be important to the story, and it almost never is.

So trying to (mentally) cast a movie of Where There’s Smoke… the second Haunted Paint Store mystery, I have to go with attitude rather than resemblance. I believe the reader will form a mental picture of the character and no matter what they imagine, they’ll be right. So no physical descriptions for me.

Laura Meehan, is a woman knocking on the door of middle age, but not walking over the threshold yet. She make self-deprecating comments about the way she looks, but I don’t think those are to be taken seriously. Certainly her husband Roy doesn’t think she’s lacking in any department. She’s not a girl-next-door type, but probably a girl-two-doors down woman.

Her deceased father, Amos Meehan, is an ex-police detective and ex-owner of the paint store Laura now owns and operates. He has a wry outlook, likes to prod people just a bit, and thinks all of his opinions are indisputable facts. He’s going to be in his late sixties or early seventies forever, and luckily he can’t see himself in a mirror. When I’m writing Roy I’m probably thinking about my own dad, but more assertive. And I don’t think he looks like my father at all: Amos isn’t nearly Jewish enough for my dad.

Roy isn’t the most handsome man in New Jersey, but he’s no slouch, and that’s all I know about what he looks like. He’s a computer whiz but not the stereotypical geek/immature adolescent you might be used to. He’s very good at his job and he can be an enormous help to Laura when she’s investigating a crime. As all paint store owners do. He has a sense of humor that isn’t New Jersey-bred but he still communicates perfectly with his Jersey girl wife. But he worries more about her poking into things outside her own realm than Laura does.

If you’re a producer and want to turn Where There’s Smoke… into a movie, television series or YouTube sensation, feel free to cast whomever you like. Just email and I’ll give you my agent’s contact information.
Visit E. J. Copperman's website and Facebook page.

My Book, The Movie: The Thrill of the Haunt.

Writers Read: E. J. Copperman (November 2013).

The Page 69 Test: The Thrill of the Haunt.

My Book, The Movie: Ukulele of Death.

The Page 69 Test: Ukulele of Death.

Q&A with E. J. Copperman.

The Page 69 Test: Same Difference.

Writers Read: E. J. Copperman (February 2025).

The Page 69 Test: Where There's Smoke....

--Marshal Zeringue