Thursday, June 28, 2012

Beth McMullen's "Spy Mom"

Beth McMullen graduated from Boston University with a degree in English Literature and received an MLS from Long Island University. After landing a gig with Reader’s Digest, she eventually realized she’d rather write books than condense them.

Here she shares some ideas for casting an adaptation of her latest book, Spy Mom:
I love this question because it’s so fun to play with! Readers email me all the time with suggestions and so many of them are great possibilities I never even thought of.

I have an image of Sally Sin, the main character of the Sin series, in my head but it doesn’t line up nicely with any current Hollywood actors of the appropriate age. And my primary bad guy, Ian Blackford, is a mishmash of all my favorite movie villains over the years with a layer of Pierce Brosnan as Remington Steele thrown in for good measure.

But Simon Still, Sally’s boss and handler at The Agency, has been Kevin Spacey since his moment of his creation. Whenever I write Simon Still scenes, I hear Kevin Spacey’s voice in my head and see him walking across my pages. Recently, I watched Margin Call and kept thinking, “Wait a minute! What is Simon Still doing on Wall Street? This doesn’t make any sense.”

I hope these books haven’t ruined Kevin Spacey for me forever but who knows?
Learn more about the book and author at Beth McMullen's website and Facebook page.

The Page 69 Test: Original Sin.

Writers Read: Beth McMullen (July 2011).

The Page 69 Test: Spy Mom.

--Marshal Zeringue