Saturday, January 26, 2013

Roberta Gately's "The Bracelet"

Roberta Gately, author of The Bracelet, has served as a nurse and humanitarian aid worker in war zones ranging from Afghanistan to Africa, about which she wrote a series of articles for the BBC World News Online. She is also the author of the novel Lipstick in Afghanistan.

Here she dreacasts an adaptation of The Bracelet:
As with so many writers, when I write, the scenes and characters play out in my thoughts much like a movie, and I can easily imagine The Bracelet on the big screen. I've already created my dream cast which would include Amanda Seyfried as Abby Monroe. She exudes the bright young nurse image for me. For Nick Sinclair -- I'd go for the real-life brash and bold James Franco to play the New York Times reporter Nick. I think he can instill just the right amount of arrogance into Nick.

For secondary characters -- Uncle Imtiaz -- Paul Giamatti -- with the right amount of make-up -- could do justice to this very unjust and cruel character. For Najeela -- Indian actress Tena Desae -- a perfect blend of beauty and mystery. For Lars -- Rutger Hauer -- to portray the wily international entrepreneur. And for Hana -- the housekeeper with a secret life -- I am stumped. I can see her in my mind's eye but she will require just the right amount of make-up to transform her from a frumpy maid to the self-assured woman she is.

As for the setting, the house I described as the UN staff house, actually does exist in Peshawar, Pakistan on Railway Road. It was home to me and so many who worked with Afghan refugees during the waning days of the Soviet invasion. And the American Club, despite years of threats, still stands -- a little bit of home in a very foreign place.
Learn more about the book and author at Roberta Gately's website, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter.

My Book, The Movie: Lipstick in Afghanistan.

--Marshal Zeringue