Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Laurie Boyle Crompton's "Blaze"

Laurie Boyle Crompton’s debut YA novel is Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains).

Here she shares some ideas for bringing an adaptation of the novel to the big screen:
If Blaze were made into a movie I'd love to see it cast with some talented unknowns who are trying to break into acting. Writing is a tough gig but acting seems next to impossible! I enjoy encouraging people to pursue their dreams even when they seem beyond reach and love the idea of Blaze helping to make dreams come true. Inexperience is fine, but cast members would need to have an excellent sense of humor because a movie about Blaze would have many, many funny moments.

I'd love to see someone like Tina Fey or Kristen Wiig write the screenplay. Seriously, those women are comedic geniuses. And I think Drew Barrymore did an awesome job directing Whip It and would love to see what she'd do with Blaze. Of course, Kevin Smith has the amazing comic book background knowledge, but I can't quite picture the mash-up between his style and Blaze's story. While writing the book I was careful to make sure readers don't need to be into comics to enjoy it and I'd want the movie to be similar in that way. Of course, I did write in a natural place for Stan Lee to do a movie cameo and would be thrilled to see something like that actually happen! 'Nuff said.
Learn more about the book and author at Laurie Boyle Crompton's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue