Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lauren Roedy Vaughn's "OCD, the Dude, and Me"

Lauren Roedy Vaughn is an award-winning educator who has spent twenty years teaching English to high school students with language-based learning disabilities. Vaughn lives with her husband in Los Angeles, where she is an avid yogini and Big Lebowski nut.

Here she shares her preference for the director of an adaptation of her newly released, debut novel OCD, The Dude, and Me:
I hope Stephen Chbosky is alive and well in the alternative universe where my book becomes a movie because he is someone who I think could tackle bringing OCD, The Dude, and Me to the screen with a sensitive touch. I thought he did a beautiful job directing the film version of his YA novel. Mr. Chbosky honored his target audience; many of my students gave rave reviews, stating that the writer/director understood them. I learned about The Perks of Being a Wallflower after I wrote my book. A high school student brought it to my attention because he asked me to read it in order to help him understand the book’s ending revelation. I was happy to oblige because my student (a football player) was so taken by the book. When a book resonates with my football players, I pay attention. I prefer not to offer a cast list for my pretend film. I’d like readers to envision the characters as their imaginations see fit. I’m sure the teens who read my story will be more imaginative about the casting than I could be.
Learn more about the book and author at Lauren Roedy Vaughn's website.

Writers Read: Lauren Roedy Vaughn.

The Page 69 Test: OCD, The Dude, and Me.

--Marshal Zeringue