Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Elizabeth L. Silver's "The Execution of Noa P. Singleton"

Elizabeth L. Silver grew up in New Orleans and Dallas and currently lives in Los Angeles. She holds a BA from the University of Pennsylvania, an MA in Creative Writing from the University of East Anglia in England, and a JD from Temple University Beasley School of Law. She has taught ESL in Costa Rica, writing and literature at several universities in Philadelphia, and worked as a research attorney for the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Here Silver shares some thoughts on dreamcasting an adaptation of The Execution of Noa P. Singleton, her first novel:
I love this idea and I’d be lying if I haven’t played around with dream casting in my head a million times, but I’m tentative to list any actors, as I often feel as though the minute a reader knows who may or may not play a role on film or who the author has in mind, then it taints the reading experience. Suddenly a famous face and voice starts to creep into the reader’s head as he or she is reading a passage, and I’d much prefer the reader to experience the novel on its own before envisioning someone specific. That said, there is a particularly famous actress who most people uniformly chose for Marlene Dixon. I won’t say who, but I suspect she’ll become clear to all who read the book fairly quickly.
Learn more about the book and author at Elizabeth L. Silver's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Execution of Noa P. Singleton.

--Marshal Zeringue