Saturday, September 7, 2013

April Genevieve Tucholke's "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea"

April Genevieve Tucholke digs classic movies, red-headed villains, big kitchens, and discussing murder at the dinner table. She and her husband Nate Pedersen live in Oregon at the edge of a forest.

Here she dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea:
I haven’t actually done this yet. Cast my characters. Not even in my mind, during an idle moment while waiting in line or staring out a car window. But there’s no time like the present…

Violet: Hailee Steinfeld. She isn’t blond and blue-eyed like my main character, but who cares. She has Violet’s wide-eyed, quiet depth. I loved this girl in True Grit. She just blew me away.

Neely. The laughing brother with the temper and the heart of gold: Anton Yelchin. He rocked his role in both J. J. Abrams’s Star Trek movies, but it was his riveting gravitas in Terminator Salvation that killed me.

Brodie: A friend recently pointed out to me that Caleb Landry Jones (Friday Night Lights, Antiviral) would make the perfect Brodie. He somehow looks innocent and terrifying at the same time. Eddie Redmayne would also fit the bill to a T, if he were a bit younger.

And River. The charming liar. Aaron Taylor-Johnson. I’ve had my eye on Aaron since he played the younger version of Edward Norton’s magician character in The Illusionist. Just watch him in this REM video.  There’s something about the cocky, crazy, vulnerable look in his eyes that is just so River. Yeah, this kid. He’s got the sparks. All of them.
Learn more about the book and author at April Genevieve Tucholke's website.

--Marshal Zeringue