Friday, October 31, 2014

Mary Elizabeth Summer's "Trust Me, I’m Lying"

Mary Elizabeth Summer contributes to the delinquency of minors by writing books about unruly teenagers with criminal leanings. She has a BA in creative writing from Wells College, and her philosophy on life is “you can never go wrong with sriracha sauce.” She lives in Portland Oregon with her wife, their daughter, and their evil overlor—er, cat.

Here Summer dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, Trust Me, I'm Lying:
I would like to go on record as saying that I know next to nothing about celebrity actors, especially teen stars. But I have been putting some thought into this lately, as I just yesterday signed a contract granting ABC Family the option rights to  Trust Me, I'm Lying. Going based on still-photo-looks alone, (I have no idea if these kids have any acting ability), I would dream cast  Trust Me, I'm Lying as follows:

Natasha Calis for Julep. Natasha has the right overall look, plus (from her IMDb picture, at least), it looks like she has a caginess to her that she keeps on the down-low. Haley Pulos and Elizabeth Gillies might also work for Julep.

Tyler is a tougher one to conjure up a casting for. He's so all-American, with mahogany hair, an athletic physique, and a charismatic smile that screams future politician. David Henrie or Lucas Till is the closest I can come to what I imagine Tyler to look like.

Sam, Julep's hacker partner and BFF, is half black half South American, so finding an actor to fit him is also rather challenging. Chris O’Neal or Nadji Jeter would be good contenders.

I hesitate to cast the rest of the characters for spoiler reasons, but for one character, I've had an actress picked out from the beginning. So I'll tell you the actress without telling you the character: Ruby Rose.
Visit Mary Elizabeth Summer's website.

The Page 69 Test: Trust Me, I'm Lying.

Writers Read: Mary Elizabeth Summer.

--Marshal Zeringue