Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Kristi Abbott's "Kernel of Truth"

Kristi Abbott, who also writes as both Eileen Rendahl and Eileen Carr, lives in northern California, although she was born in Ohio like the heroine of her new novel, Kernel of Truth. She loves snack food, crocheting, her kids, and her man, not necessarily in that order.

Here Abbott dreamcasts an adaptation of Kernel of Truth:
Well, the movie rights haven’t sold yet so this is pure fantasy, right? Since it’s fantasy, I don’t have to be bound by people being the right age or even actually alive, right? Super. I’m good to go, then.

I’d cast Jenna Elfman as Rebecca Anderson, my protagonist. She has the kind of natural beauty and grace I’d like for Rebecca as well as a bit of playfulness about her that would totally be perfect for my sassy heroine.

For Garrett, local lawyer and Rebecca’s love interest, I’d choose Matthew Goode. He’d have to lose the British accent, but he did that with no apparent problem in The Good Wife. There’s a twinkle about him that makes me smile and a quiet power that makes him the alpha dog in any room. Plus, let’s face it, he’s easy on the eyes.

I think Bradley Cooper would be perfect for Rebecca’s ex-husband, Antoine, assuming he can pull off a French accent. Handsome, charming, but a little too slick. Of course, if Bradley Cooper was in Kernel of Truth, I’d have to do a rewrite so Antoine would take off his shirt several times.

For the director, I’d pick Nora Ephron. I know she’s no longer with us, but this is fantasy. She had the absolute perfect balance of wit and heart in her movies and essays and books. I can’t think of anyone who would handle it better.
Visit Kristi Abbott's website.

The Page 69 Test: Kernel of Truth.

--Marshal Zeringue