Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Demetra Brodsky's "Last Girls"

Demetra Brodsky is an award-winning art director and designer turned writer. She has a B.F.A. from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design and lives in Southern California with her family of four and two lovable rescue dogs. Dive Smack, her debut YA thriller, is dedicated to the Monarch butterfly she once saved from the brink of death.

Here Brodsky dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, Last Girls:
For every book I write, I create a Pinterest board to go with the plot and characters. I always have a specific actor or image in mind. Sometimes, it's an actor I've seen in a movie or TV show that gives me the vibe I'm looking for, but mostly it's just good luck. Here's how I see the Juniper sisters in Last Girls play out in the movie in my head.

Honey: Diana Silvers

Honey is protective and loyal. I loved Diana Silvers’s performance in Booksmart. She’s has the right mix of confidence, responsibly, and sarcasm to back up Honey’s traits.

Birdie: Emily Rudd

I haven’t seen Emily Rudd in much but she gives me a false ingénue vibe that I think would work well for Birdie if she were able to balance Birdie’s rebellion with her fierce and romantic nature. To me, Birdie would be the hardest to play because she feels everything so viscerally.

Blue: India Eisley

I think India Eisley plays quiet, contemplative characters really well, illustrated by her performances in My Sweet Audrina, I Am The Night, and Underworld Awakening.

Toby: Cole Sprouse

Without ruining too much of the plot for anyone who hasn’t read Last Girls, just trust me when I say Toby gave me serious Jughead Jones vibes while I wrote him. Not the comic book Juggy. I mean, the brooding, smart Riverdale Jughead.

You can visit the Last Girls Pinterest board to see more.
Visit Demetra Brodsky's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Demetra Brodsky & L.B. and Ponyboy Curtis.

Q&A with Demetra Brodsky.

The Page 69 Test: Last Girls.

--Marshal Zeringue