Thursday, July 16, 2020

Alina Adams's "The Nesting Dolls"

Alina Adams was born in Odessa, Ukraine, and emigrated from the USSR with her family in 1977. She lives in New York City with her husband and three children.

Here Adams dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, The Nesting Dolls:
From the time The Nesting Dolls was accepted for publication, I have had one goal where movie rights were concerned: I needed to get this book into the hands of Mila Kunis.

The Nesting Dolls takes place during three time periods, Odessa, USSR during the 1930s and Stalin's Great Terror, Odessa, USSR during the 1970s and the fight to free Soviet Jewry, and present day Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, among it's huge Soviet immigrant community.

Mila Kunis was born in the Ukraine and immigrated in the 1970s, the same time as the middle section takes place, and the same time as when my family, along with thousands of others immigrated to America.

I just have a gut feeling that she would really relate to the material, not to mention appreciate the three strong female roles available, all of whom kind of look like her! (It's not that I had Mila Kunis in mind when I wrote the book - I didn't - it's just that I described the three women the way Jewish women from the Ukraine tend to look. And Mila looks the way Jewish women from the Ukraine tend to look!)

I also hope Mila interests her husband, Ashton Kutcher, in the material. He's got tech money! And doesn't he want to produce a movie to teach his children, Wyatt and Dimitri, about their family's cultural heritage - starring their mom!
Visit Alina Adams's website.

Q&A with Alina Adams.

--Marshal Zeringue