Monday, April 14, 2014

Yvette Manessis Corporon's "When The Cypress Whispers"

Yvette Manessis Corporon is an Emmy Award-winning writer, producer, and author. She is currently a senior producer with the syndicated entertainment news show Extra. In addition to her Emmy Award, Yvette has received a Silurian Award for Excellence in Journalism, and the New York City Comptroller and City Council's Award for Greek Heritage and Culture. She is married to award-winning photojournalist David Corporon.

Here Corporon dreamcasts an adaptation of When the Cypress Whispers, her debut novel:
If they made a movie of When The Cypress Whispers I think hands down, Olympia Dukakis would make the perfect Yia-yia, the wise Greek grandmother. A Greek American herself, Olympia embodies all of the warmth, sass and spirit of Yia-yia. I’d love to sit with her over an afternoon cup of kafe and have her read my Greek coffee cup. Even if she didn’t know what she was doing, I’m sure she’d make it up and it would all be magical and perfect and spot on – just like her accent.

As for Daphne, our hardworking, confused, trapped between two cultures single mom, I think Rachel Weisz would be amazing. She’s so beautiful and ethereal, and I mean come on, that girl can act. I’d love to see her tackle the Greek dancing scene; I bet she would dance beautifully.

As for Yianni, the sexy and complicated fisherman - there’s only one choice for me, Alec Baldwin. Besides being a brilliant actor - as well as devilishly handsome, I have my own selfish reasons for wanting Alec on board. Alec’s wife Hilaria is one of my dearest friends and I am desperate to get the Baldwins to come to Greece with me. It would be the ultimate working vacation for our families. Just think of the possibilities, we’d film the movie by day, hang out in tavernas and Greek dance by night and my kids would help babysit baby Carmen. Sounds like the ultimate working vacation to me.
Learn more about the book and author at Yvette Corporon's website.

Writers Read: Yvette Manessis Corporon.

--Marshal Zeringue