Sunday, March 8, 2015

Becky Wallace's "The Storyspinner"

In second grade, Becky Wallace had to sit in the corner because she refused to write anything except princess stories and fairy tales (and because she talked too much). Her time in isolation gave her plenty of opportunities to dream up the fantasy worlds she’s been dabbling with ever since.

Here Wallace dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, The Storyspinner:
If I was going to cast The Storyspinner from the very greatest actors and actresses of all time, I’d choose:

Vivien Leigh for Johanna. She’s a perfect physical fit (petite, brown hair, pale eyes), but she has an innate sarcasm about her delivery. Johanna uses snarkiness as a defense mechanism, and is fiercely protective of her family. I think the closest modern day equivalent would be Sarah Hyland from Modern Family.

A young Daniel Sunjata as Rafi: He’s a good match for the tall, lean Duke-to-be, but he also does well in roles were he has to show both action skill and vulnerability. It’s an extra bonus that he’s easy on the eyes.

Jessie J as Pira: I have no idea if the singer has a shred of acting talent, but she’s the person I pinned to my pinterest board when I wrote The Storyspinner. The height, the shaved head, the incredible bone structure is perfect for my angsty warrior.
Visit Becky Wallace's website.

--Marshal Zeringue