Monday, May 18, 2015

Nancy Thayer's "The Guest Cottage"

Nancy Thayer's many novels include Summer House, The Hot Flash Club, Beachcombers, Heat Wave, Summer Breeze, Island Girls, and the newly released The Guest Cottage.

Here Thayer dreamcasts an adaptation of The Guest Cottage:
If The Guest Cottage were made into a movie, I’d cast Rosamund Pike as the lead woman, Sophie. I’ve watched Rosamund Pike act in many BBC series, and not only is she absolutely lovely, she has a sweetness about her in all her movements. I know she was wicked in Gone Girl, but that just proves what a great actress she is. Check her out in Pride and Prejudice.

For the lead actor, Trevor, I’d cast James Norton, who stars in the Grantchester series. He’s a tall hunk of a man, with the face of a slightly confused angel. Or I’d cast Francois Amaud, who played Cesare Borgia in the series The Borgias. I’d love to see him act again. Both men are handsome and could summon up the slightly clueless intention toward responsible parenting.

For Hristo, the gorgeous Bulgarian, I’d cast Gerard Butler. No other possibilities.

Director? Angelina Jolie. My book is about two families learning to live together, and Jolie knows all about blended families. Plus, I admire her.

The setting would have to be on Nantucket. The small town atmosphere, the long golden beaches, the rose-covered cottages, the bike paths and moors, the lighthouses and yachts, all compose a unique and idyllic location for renewed happiness.
Learn more about the book and author at Nancy Thayer's website.

The Page 69 Test: Summer House.

The Page 69 Test: Beachcombers.

My Book, The Movie: Beachcombers.

Writers Read: Nancy Thayer.

--Marshal Zeringue