Sunday, January 24, 2016

Rachael Ball's "The Inflatable Woman"

Rachael Ball is a cartoonist and a teacher. The Inflatable Woman, her first graphic novel, was a Guardian Best Graphic Book of 2015.

Here Ball dreamcasts an adaptation of the novel:
Who would play the lead role?

That's a hard one since it's a cartoon book so I guess if I was lucky enough for it to be made into a film it would probably be animated. If it was live action the only person that springs to mind is Susan Calman (brilliant comedian). I'm not saying this because she's short! She's also a lot prettier than Iris in my book. But I've seen her perform a few times and she manages to combine humour and human frailty really well. Also there's an ending to one of her stage shows which is very similar to the ending of my book. I seriously cannot remember if I saw her act before I wrote the end of my book! Whatever! Hope she doesn't mind being such an inspiration!

Director: Would have to be Jane Campion or David Lynch. Bit different but they'd both be edgy with dark bits!
Visit Rachael Ball's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Inflatable Woman.

Writers Read: Rachael Ball.

--Marshal Zeringue