Saturday, March 19, 2016

Elizabeth Marro's "Casualties"

Elizabeth Marro is the author of the novel, Casualties, the story of a defense executive who loses her son just when she thought he was safely home from war. Now, she must face the painful truth about her past, her choices, the war, and her son. Casualties was a finalist in the 2014 San Diego Book Association Unpublished Novel Contest.

Here Marro dreamcasts an adaptation of the novel:
Lately, everyone who has been written me after reading Casualties, has suggested actors who would be perfect for the roles of Ruth, my protagonist. Few have said, though, who might be just right for the roles of Robbie, her son, or Casey, the would-be conman and veteran who forms an unlikely partnership with her that helps them both. I’ll aim to fill in those blanks here with some of the candidates I used to list as I was writing -- or, more accurately, procrastinating.

Ruth: the lead vote-getter from readers is Julianne Moore and I’m right there with them. She’s a wonderful actor with the ability to play a woman who is both vulnerable and tough and needs to be honest with herself before she can take the first step toward healing. That said, I believe Cate Blanchett or Tilda Swinton would be wonderful choices too and after seeing August: Osage County, I’m convinced Julia Roberts could bring a lot to this role.

Robbie: a few years back, my pick would have been a young Heath Ledger or Aaron Paul or even Michael Pitt whose face is the right combination of soft and hard. I’m not sure who to suggest from the many talented younger men out there right now. I haven’t seen many of their movies.

Casey: I always imagined Denis Leary or Aaron Eckhart in this role. I could see Ryan Gosling who can play pretty much any kind of role.

Well, that was fun! Dreamcasting must be like playing one of those fantasy baseball or football games -- all the fun of fantasizing without any of the gambling or anxiety.
Visit Elizabeth Marro's website.

--Marshal Zeringue