Friday, May 29, 2015

Will Walton's "Anything Could Happen"

Will Walton is a book-selling, pop music fanatic who grew up on a farm and now works at the Avid Bookshop in Athens, Georgia.

Here he dreamcasts an adaptation of his new YA novel, Anything Could Happen:
I hadn’t planned these ahead of time! But after thinking about it, I have to say: I think Max Records would make a good Tretch. Records gave such a raw, emotional performance in Where the Wild Things Are—and he should be about the right age! If there were a way to travel back in time, I’d like for Gaby Hoffmann and Evan Peters to play Tretch’s friends, Lana Kramer and Matt Gooby. Hoffmann is one of my favorite actresses, and Peters is pretty dreamy (even when he’s acting all scary in American Horror Story).

For Tretch’s grandparents (important), I’d choose Michael Caine and Rosemary Harris. Caine can do a good Southern accent (Secondhand Lions), and Harris is so sharp and sweet as Aunt May in the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies.

As for my dream director of choice, no contest: Alexander Payne. Payne is so deft at communicating these simple, human stories (Nebraska, The Descendents, Sideways). His films are never flashy, and they are always profound. I was crying so hard at the end of Nebraska I had to leave the theater.
Visit Will Walton's website.

Writers Read: Will Walton.

The Page 69 Test: Anything Could Happen.

--Marshal Zeringue