Monday, August 10, 2015

David Hofmeyr's "Stone Rider"

David Hofmeyr was born in South Africa and lives in London and Paris. In 2012 he was a finalist in the SCBWI Undiscovered Voices competition, and in 2013 he graduated with distinction from Bath Spa University with an MA in Writing for Young People. He works as a Planner for Ogilvy & Mather in the UK.

Here Hofmeyr dreamcasts an adaptation of Stone Rider, his first novel:
I’m thrilled to say Working Title films have bought the option to make the film and they have already drafted in Dave Andron of Justified fame to pen the script.

If you’d have asked me to pick a screenwriter, I couldn’t have made a better choice. I love his writing. His dialogue is superb and he knows how to deliver a superb villain.

In terms of casting, it’s more difficult, because with YA books to film you’re often dealing with unknowns or kids with one or two films under their belt. But for the male characters I liked Theo James in Divergent. He’d be closest to my mysterious character, Kane. And I thought Brenton Thwaites was excellent in The Giver. He’d be perfect for the protagonist in Stone Rider, Adam Stone. As for my main female character, Sadie Blood I’d say some young, good-looking girl with attitude. I like the look of Zoey Deutch. Someone like that.

And when it comes to the director, I’d pick Clint Eastwood every day of the week, but if Quentin Tarantino is game then I’m all for it. Someone who directs like a modern Sergio Leone would be pretty damn cool too.
Visit David Hofmeyr's website.

Stone Rider is one of Rachel Paxton-Gillilan's five YA books for Mad Max fans.

--Marshal Zeringue