Monday, June 15, 2020

Lindsay Wong's "My Summer of Love and Misfortune"

Lindsay Wong is the author of the bestselling, award-winning memoir The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug-Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family. She has a BFA in creative writing from the University of British Columbia and MFA in literary nonfiction from Columbia University, and she is now based in Vancouver, Canada.

Here Wong dreamcasts an adaptation of My Summer of Love and Misfortune, her first YA novel:
If they made my book into a film, I would love Ali Wong to write and direct it. Ali Wong is hilarious and I believe she would capture the absurd comedy and emotional resonance of My Summer Of Love And Misfortune perfectly. I loved Always Be My Maybe, and I wish I had an ounce of her brilliance.

Lana Condor (To All The Boys I Have Loved Before) would make an excellent Iris Wang. Despite being flawed, selfish, and lost, Iris is generally well-meaning and I think the actress would capture all these multifaceted sides of Iris. For the rest of the movie roles, I wonder about bringing in the cast from Kim’s Convenience. Andrea Bang would make a formidable and funny Ruby, and I think Paul Sun-Hyung Yee who plays Appa would be perfect for Uncle Dai or Iris’ father. When I was writing Iris’ dad’s lines, I kept thinking about how Yee would deliver them with perfect comedic timing.

Actually, can they just bring in the casts of Crazy Rich Asians and Fresh Off the Boat to make this film? Joe Zee should be the executive producer and style all the clothes and the outrageous dog grooming outfits!