Saturday, February 2, 2019

James Brabazon's "The Break Line"

James Brabazon is an author, journalist, and documentary filmmaker. Based in the UK, he has traveled to more than seventy countries, investigating, filming, and directing in the world’s most hostile environments. He is the author of All Fall Down, The Break Line, and the international bestseller My Friend the Mercenary, a memoir recounting his experiences of the Liberian civil war and the Equatorial Guinea coup plot.

Here Brabazon dreamcasts an adaptation of The Break Line:
The audio book of The Break Line was read by the brilliant Irish actor Jason O’Mara. He’s exactly the right age, and he’s from the right place in Ireland to get the accent absolutely spot on. He did the read so well that his voice has become Max McLean’s voice in my head as I write the sequel. I as so thrilled when he agreed to do the read, and he’s been very supportive of the book. He’d be great as Max McLean.

Ana María would have to be played by Ana Ularu. I’d never seen her on screen before and then I watched Matthew Ross’s film Siberia. It was as if my Ana María had walked in shot…

Sonny Boy? Liam Neeson. General King? Charles Dance, for sure. Commander Frank Knight is a tricky one. Stephen Rae, perhaps… or Gary Oldman. And the MI6 bigwig David Mason would have to be played by Colin Firth, naturally.

Ezra Black is another tricky one because… well, let’s just say he’s the least fictional of all the characters in The Break Line. I think it has to be Tzachi Halevy though, probably best-known outside of Israel for playing the Special Forces operator Naor in the Netflix series Fauda.

Juliet was practically written for Emma Stone. And the brilliant Roberts, who is the character I would most like to sit and have a beer with, would, I think be a perfect role for Jimmy Akingbola.

And the director? Paul Greengrass or Martin Campbell.
Visit James Brabazon's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Break Line.

--Marshal Zeringue