Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A.F. Brady's "Once a Liar"

A.F. Brady is a New York State Licensed Mental Health Counselor/Psychotherapist. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Brown University and two Masters degrees in Psychological Counseling from Columbia University. She is a life-long New Yorker, and resides in Manhattan with her husband and their family, including Maurice the canine.

Here Brady dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, Once a Liar:
Peter Caine: I would love to see Jon Hamm or Tom Hardy play Peter. Both actors are exceedingly good looking, and both play evil so well. I have heard that they are really nice guys in real life, and that’s exactly the kind of person I’m after. Someone who is playing a sociopath, and doing it convincingly, because that taps into the nuances of Peter’s own struggles within himself.

Juliette: I would love to have someone who personifies grace, elegance and kindness, but packs a heavy dose of “not gonna take your shit.” Either Katharine or Audrey Hepburn would have done glorious work with Juliette. As far as living actresses, I think Cate Blanchett or Charlize Theron would be excellent choices.

Sinan: I absolutely adore Sinan, and I fear I can’t find anyone I know of who is perfect. I would love it if he were played by a member of the LGBT community, and if he were really Turkish, British or any combination of the two.

Marcus: Jack Nicholson. Please. While I love Jack Nicholson, and I don’t love Marcus, I think he is the only person who can pull it off perfectly. Marcus is conniving, manipulative, brilliant, and cold. He is callous, and morally bankrupt yet charming. If Melvin Udall, R.P. McMurphy, the Joker and Jack Torrance were crammed into one human, Jack Nicholson’s Marcus Rhodes would be born.

Claire: I would love Marion Cotillard, or Kate Winslet. They’re both such forces, and Claire has to be strong and resourceful to manage being in a relationship with Peter.

Jamie: Alex Pettyfer or Dave Franco. Jamie is a teenager, so my age range may be flawed, but I feel like these guys can do a brooding, charismatic, conflicted teenager with the best of them.

Harrison Doyle: John Goodman. I just love when John Goodman plays someone unlikable.

As a woman writing from the perspective of a man, I would love to continue that theme and have a female director. I think Kathryn Bigelow would be an excellent choice.
Visit A.F. Brady's website.

Coffee with a Canine: A.F. Brady & Maurice.

The Page 69 Test: Once a Liar.

Writers Read: A.F. Brady.

--Marshal Zeringue