Thursday, April 30, 2015

Meredith Zeitlin's "Sophomore Year is Greek to Me"

Meredith Zeitlin has written two books for young people (so far) and lots of articles for Ladygunn Magazine. She’s also a voiceover artist who can be heard on commercials, cartoons, and TV shows.

Here Zeitlin dreamcasts an adaptation of her new novel, Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me:
This is a tricky one, because most of the characters in my book are 15 years old, and I'm not that familiar with young actors and actresses! When I was writing, the person I pictured as Zona (the main character) was Jane Levy, who stars in Suburgatory. She's a cute and sassy redhead who's also very smart, goal-oriented, and a bit neurotic; coincidentally, the character Jane plays has an absent mother and a very close relationship with her dad. I think Jane is too old to play Zona now, but maybe she has a younger sister?

I could see David Straitharn as Zona's Dad, David Lowell. He looks exactly how I pictured him, plus he'd be totally believable as a serious journalist who has a soft spot for his only daughter. Meaghan Rath (Being Human) would be perfect as Zona's cool older cousin, Yiota. Thios Theseus would be very difficult to cast - it would have to be a Gene Wilder type. Robin WIlliams would really have been the best choice. It would be terrific to actually use Greek actors for the extended family - I would die of joy if Olympia Dukakis wanted to play Pro-Yia-Yia (Zona's ancient, stubborn great-grandmother). Nia Vardalos is a little young to play Thia Angela, but with the right makeup she could make it work.

Of course, I would love to hear what readers think - who would you cast??
Visit Meredith Zeitlin's website.

The Page 69 Test: Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me.

--Marshal Zeringue